Sunday, September 16, 2007

Cachin' & Frisbee

Once again, I have managed to go several weeks without a blog. The steam finally built up enough and now things are really rolling!

For starters, work picked up last Thursday! We are working for the Forest Service removing bark, laying fabric, and then finishing up with a nice layer of rock. We are still removing bark! It's been 7 days of bark removal and I would guess we probably still have two days left before we can start with the fabric weed barrier. In all, we have 8 large planting beds we are working on, totaling about 14,000 square feet! We are about sick of shoveling bark but, in all honesty, we know it's the easiest part of this job. The fabric will have a lot of odd cuts and we have to lay fabric around large bushes - I suspect we will be on our knees for a good week or more. Then the rock installation will be a real back breaker - we will be replacing the bark with cobble rock, the ones that don't really shovel too well. So that will add to the fun! However, the pocketbook sure appreciates the much needed income!

Last weekend Laura and I did some hunting. Not just regular ole' hunting - Sandhill crane hunting! Okay, well wait a moment - let me phrase that more accurately. Last weekend we drove around aimlessly for two days and watched Sandhill Cranes fly away from us... I have to admit, they were a lot harder to hunt than I had expected. I tried to put the sneak on them from over a quarter mile away, and they were well aware of me before I had made much ground. As soon as then knew the story, they were in the air and gone!

We turned our attention from hunting into caching and went after a few caches - we found one of my favorite caches at an old gold mine. It was a big one too! One of the larger ammo cans we have ever seen! Usually we find caches that are in 30 caliber ammo cans (3"x10"x6") - as you can see from the picture this one is much much larger! The largest cache we have found was in the desert in Utah, it was a 15 gallon tote hidden under a large rock shelf - that was actually next to some dinosaur footprints, so that was pretty cool too!

This weekend was sectional for Ultimate Frisbee. I played for the Missoula Mbubes (it's Zulu for lion). We didn't do as well as we had hoped, but we still had a great time for only playing together for less than a week. We actually learned a new offense on Monday and practiced it on Wednesday before playing in the tournament on Saturday and Sunday. So all-and-all we were pleased that we worked together so well. But then again, we were rather displeased that we went 2-4 for the weekend. Laura came for a few games and snapped a few pictures.
Focus on catching the disc!
Eating some dirt after I missed the disc on defense. Opps-a-daisy.I managed to deflect an endzone throw by the tips of my fingers with this jump! Saved the day! Here I am working on my defense - a little fancy footwork added in to help out, but I just couldn't reach far enough! Darn!Getting some air to score the first point of the game!The Mbubes (or at least the ones who survived two days)
The 5 games we played on Saturday were pretty rough, and our game on Sunday was a lot of fun, but tough with only a few substitutes. Not to mention everyone was pretty tired.

Speaking of which - I'm blogging at 9:00 on Sunday night and about to fall asleep as I type. I've got a long week of work ahead of me, and some rest would be a good thing at this point. Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home