Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Way-Back-When Machine

Before I get started, I wanted to pull out an old advertisement for hard drives. Look at the deals here! Ten megabyts for $1,195!!! A seventy megabyte hard drive for $5,495. Wow, now that's affordable. I have no idea when this advertisement was published, but I would guess in the late 1970's to mid 1980's.

Last year after Thanksgiving I bought a 200 gigabyte hard drive for $40.00 - that is approximately 20,000 times larger than the ten megabyte hard drive advertised here, and thirty times cheaper.

Snap back to reality and I am back in Missoula, Montana on a Sunday evening recollecting my activities since Wednesday...

Thursday I went out for a goose hunt with some guys. We had high hopes of limiting out on geese and maybe a few ducks, but that wasn't to be. We were sat up by 7:00 a.m. and our first geese arrived at 8:45. Only two geese fell from that group, and that was the excitement for the day. We picked up and headed home around noon. We had a great time though. The sunrise was quite nice and we were far enough away from the highway to enjoy the peace and quite while we napped in the layout blinds. Here's some of the fog rolling around. The second and third pictures are actually the same mountain, just at different times of the day.This weekend I put together a few computers out of old parts. I built a computer for Laura to take to school and have at her desk so she doesn't have to take the laptop to and from school all the time. I think she will be happy to have a computer at school that she can keep all her files on and not worry about it being stolen. This is an old computer I picked up out of a dumpster about four years ago, and it was an old computer then.

The second computer I put together was an old computer from Laura's office. I actually installed Red Hat Linux on it so I can do some reading and learn how to use Linux operating systems. For those that don't know, Linux is a different way to run a computer - instead of having Microsoft Windows running the computer, Linux does. It has a much different look, but essentially does the same things, just a little better. I don't know how much free time I will get to learn it though, I have other things I will be doing as well.

The third computer I didn't really build. It is my old computer that I just replaced. I installed Windows 98 so I could play some of my old computer games that I put on the shelf and haven't played in years. On one of my dumpster diving missions I found a racing wheel and I have had it in the closet for the past three years because I had no computer to install it on. I installed Nascar Thunder 2003 on the computer and I have been racing around at Daytona all weekend!

The last bit of news came this afternoon. My phone rang, and I was offered a job! I didn't apply for any jobs, but turns out that the guy talked to my old boss and found out I wasn't currently working and he needed some help for awhile. I am going to help demolish some old buildings in Missoula for at least the next few weeks. I am excited to get started on that Monday morning at 8:00 and have a paycheck in my pocket again. Laura is excited too!

Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home