Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday The 13th

Beware, it's Friday the 13th! My sister broke her arm on Friday the 13th when she was in grade school. Coincidence? You can be the judge.

I saw this a few days ago. If you haven't seen this funny trick yet, then prepare to have a short lesson in Geography. If you have Google Earth, or know how to use Google Maps then use the Directions option. For the starting point us New York, New York. For the destination use London, England. I see my mom (mum for you English chaps) sent me an e-mail that says use Paris, but I have a phobia of the French so London works as well. You will get a long list of steps and if you read closely around line 20-25 you will see an interesting method for crossing the Atlantic Ocean. "Swim across the Atlantic Ocean - 3,462 miles!" I don't know about you, but the last time I tried swimming across the ocean I got really tired. At least Google has a sense of humor, but I am sure someone will sue them for not making a disclaimer and warning them that it is nearly impossible to swim across the ocean.

Ultimate Frisbee is going good. Our team won on Wednesday night and we are 2-0 now. The word is we are early favorites to be 'the team to beat' so we will have our work cut out for us.

Yesterday, Laura called me from school and said she would be coming home around 2:00 and we should go geocaching. So I looked up a few geocaches to go find and we left around 3:00 for a geocaching adventure. We had a great trip around the areas I like to duck hunt, and there were a lot of ponds and ducks nesting. Towards sunset we climbed up on a mountain and found a geocache. The sunset was great, but the cool wind hurried us back to the truck. When we made it to the top the first thing I noticed was the ponds all over in the valley. We knew we were going a fair distance from Missoula, but when we turned onto the highway and headed back for Missoula the sign read: Missoula 85 miles. Huh?! Holy smokes, we were a lot farther away than we though. The fact that it was already 9:00 added to our surprise as well. We might have believed 65 miles, but looking at the map now, I see we were less than 30 miles from Helena! We pulled into the driveway around 10:15 and Laura quickly threw together some supper so we could eat, shower and get to bed!After our climb up the mountain, I think Laura and I are ready to have a weekend on the flat ground and stay away from anything resembling an incline. Our legs were on fire from our climbing excursion last weekend, and yesterday they were on fire again. Good thing this weekend is a geocaching event called a CITO. That stands for Cache In - Trash Out. Once a year the geocachers get together and pick up trash somewhere. This year we are going to clean up a shooting range in the national forest. It's not really a shooting range, but it's where a lot of people go to shoot and they leave a lot of trash behind. You might spot a trash group this weekend or next weekend, odds are they might be a geocaching group.

Laura has a conference at the University on Saturday afternoon and then our weekend is open for anything. I have a feeling we will be more interested in resting than we will be to go hiking, but you never know. Have a great weekend, until again

-=Nolan=-

**Extra** I forgot to mention we encountered a VERY BIG footprint yesterday while we were geocaching. It was a grizzly bear print and was MUCH bigger than the bear print we saw in Yellowstone (that was a big bear). This is a monster though! Here I am climbing the tree to get the cache and see if I could spot any bears! He he he.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home