Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waiting For The Race

Everyone knows the saying "The calm before the storm" and if you know what that feeling of anticipation and waiting feels like, then you know what my state of mind is right now... This coming Sunday I, along with many other family members, will be running in the half marathon in Lincoln. I have a feeling most of the runners are going through the same emotions this week as well. It's exciting to finally have it before us.

The hard work in preparation is behind us and we are able to go the distance, but there still exists those lingering questions in the back of everyone's head. The 'what ifs' always exist and the unknown can create fear. The big factor is the weather though. Last year the conditions were nearly perfect - bright sunshine, light breeze, temperatures in the mid 40's at start time. It will be hard to match that kind of morning this year, but as long as the temperature isn't around freezing, the wind isn't tornadic, and it's not a cold rain, then everyone will feel much better when we line up a few minutes before 7:00 a.m. to get started...

I won't get too nervous before the race...well, perhaps I should say 'run.' The only race I will be looking at is against myself - namely to improve my time from last year... Yeah, that sounds better...I won't get too nervous before the run. I have had nearly 15 years of races and competitions with much higher stakes and I have learned to control my nerves and curb the excitement of others...even Laura's. I could easily get myself worked up about it though, the competitor inside of me will still push my body and mind to that painful threshold where comfort and pain mix - and that is where the nerves will come from - the KNOWING of the pain that is about to come.

For now, it's just a waiting game. Waiting and watching - waiting for the race and watching the weather. Right now the weather is looking favorable for us on Sunday morning and that's a very good thing. Everyone will have their own personal battles to deal with and Mother Nature isn't one I want to have on the list.

Until again
-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home