Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sorry, no picture

I usually try to post a picture along with my post. I think it makes the post a little more interesting when you can have some visual reference to go along with what you are reading. However, I don't have any new pictures right now, but perhaps I will entertain the thought of a second post this evening with a picture, just for good measure. However, my topic of concern right now needs no picture...

As some of you know, I have been searching for a job here in Missoula for two months now. I have a BS in Geography so I am not thrilled about joining the local Wal-Mart for the Christmas season. I want a job I can do some thinking and use my skills. So last week, after checking the newspaper, I found an opening for a part-time graphic artist in a small town south of Missoula. I sent in my resume and included a letter in my e-mail to the company. The next day I have a message that reads:

Thank you for your interest. We will contact you shortly to set up an interview.


I am thinking this is good news. I have applied at nearly a dozen different places, and only one place has had the courtesy to inform me I was not selected. So this message sent me to cloud 9! Well, yesterday I recieved another e-mail saying:

Dear Applicants,
We received an overwhelming response to our ad for a graphic designer. Although we initially wanted to interview each applicant, it was impossible to do so.
Thank you so much for your interest and good luck in your job search.


Here is a blog post I took from Matt Dente: At the Spine Tour Journal Fall 2005:

Missoula is a great town that is influenced by its blue-collar history and the University of Montana, a lot of pick-ups and students basically. Bicycles are surprisingly everywhere, and according to the locals, poor city planning makes getting across town quicker on a bike than in a car. The spot we played had a few bars in the vicinity and there were about 25 bikes lined up in front. I’m not sure if it was the simplicity of using a bike in a small town, or the environmentally friendly nature of the whole thing that made it so nice to see. Most likely it has something to do with the fact that we are guzzling fuel while carting a van full of equipment around the country. A bike sure seems simple in comparison.

So I have started to grab at straws as to what a career will be worth here. I am trying to stay positive and believe that something very good is just awaiting me around the next corner. Well, you can only go around in circles for so long before the corner is just the same thing over and over.

Morning weight: 195

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home