Sunday, August 06, 2006

There & Back

I'm back! Yes, it's true, I survived a week in the wilderness - and on top of that it was with the inlaws. I think everyone had a good time, but might not be ready for another adventure of that caliber for quite awhile. I am going to be posting pictures from the hike all week. Today Laura and I have designated as a day of cleaning and getting caught up on world happenings. When we arrived back in Missoula yesterday the smoke and haze was thick from the fires burning nearby - the air quality is quite bad and it almost makes a person sick to breath it. I am working on scanning a map of our trip or finding one on the internet so everyone can see where we hiked, so that might take me a day or two to figure out as well.

Last Friday, July 28, we left in the evening for Yellowstone. We drove as far as Ennis, MT - on highway 287 between Butte & Bozeman. We did some geocaching on the way and we were going to camp that night, but we couldn't find a campsite before it was dark so we ended up sleeping in the car... As you can see the trip was already off to a good start! Saturday we were up at 4:45 and ready to start geocaching. No, we wern't excited to start geocaching, but we couldn't sleep so with the little bit of twilight available we started geocaching on our way to Yellowstone. We did some hiking in the park for some caches and ended up hiking close to 10 miles before even starting our hike into the Thorofare. We met up with Laura's family at 2:00 and started making preperations and readying the packs for the 5 day trip... How's that for a quick rundown of the events leading up to our hike? Not very good, but that's all the more exciting it was - wait until I start in with the actual hike tomorrow.

Now that I have left you on the edge of your seat I have some exciting news for the geocaching world. Laura and I found 38 geocaches on our trip, and when we arrived home we had a package that had our NEW Jeep Travel Bug inside! That's a picture of it to the left. Travel Bugs are items that have tracking tags attatched to them and then you can follow where they go. Last year on our honeymoon we picked up a travel bug in Utah and left it in the desert in Nevada. The travel bug is now in The Netherlands in Europe. We are going to try to get a new geocache started soon so we can release the bug soon. You can see the information for the Jeep Travel Bug by clicking >>HERE<<.

I will try to keep updating all week and uploading pictures of the hike. Until again

-=Nolan=-

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nolan - Great Stuff! Katie and I just got in from Yellowstone today! I recognized some of those spots right away!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home