Thursday, February 26, 2009

Another Book Off My List

It's a good feeling to finish a book. Thankfully, Emryk crashed around 8:15 tonight and that allowed me to sit down and finish the book I started back in June of 2008. Yeah, I'm a slow reader - I like to read everything closely to get the full understanding of the book. Forget that speed reading stuff, I like getting the full enjoyment out of the books I read. Slow and steady is how I read.

I don't read for entertainment. I have tv, video games and internet for that. I read to educate myself - mostly I stick to history books. Since graduating from college I think I have read three history related books - Death In Yellowstone, Undaunted Courage (Lewis and Clark), and tonight I finished Nothing Like It In The World. The last two books have been by Stephen Ambrose and I enjoy his writing style.

Nothing Like It In The World is the story of the Transcontinental Railroad across the United States. I picked up a copy of it when we were living in Missoula and put it on the shelf to read after I finished the Lewis and Clark book.

Interestingly enough, I read Undaunted Courage while living in Missoula, an area full of Lewis and Clark history and once we moved back to Kearney I started Nothing Like It In The World which talks about the very railroad which was key in the development of modern Kearney and runs right through town.

I don't think I will start a new book for awhile. I have a stack of National Geographic magazines waiting for me to read - we started getting those when we were living in Missoula too. Not to mention I have a few outdoor magazines that I have been piling up to read as well.

Maybe I will have the magazines read by the endo of the summer and I will be ready for another book to get me through the winter. I have been thinking about reading a book about Theodore Roosevelt or maybe even William Fredrick Cody - better known as "Buffalo Bill." I think a book about Buffalo Bill would be very intersting - Laura is from Cody, Wyoming, a town founded by Buffalo Bill. He also has some history of being in Nebraska and I'm a sucker for local history.

Then again, I'm always open for suggestions.

Until again

-=Nolan=-

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I've found that books on CD make for great road-trips and good at-home listening while cleaning and relaxing. Check out your public library for some good stuff.
Bill Bryson is one of my favorite light-reading authors, if you haven't read A Walk in the Woods, it is a fun one.

Monday, March 16, 2009 1:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home