Sunday, November 30, 2008

One More For November

I thought I would get one last blog in for November. In a few short hours we will be starting December and soon 2008 will be over - look out, here comes 2009! Where is the time going so fast?

At the beginning of November Emryk started eating baby food with a spoon. He wasn't very good at it, but here we are a few weeks later and he eats from a spoon like he has been doing it all his life! As you can see, he isn't exactly a clean eater, but I know people my age who still consider staying this clean a achievement!

Thanksgiving was nice. We left for Cheyenne around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday after Laura got off work. We took our time getting there by taking the highway and doing some geocaching on the way. Not only do we get better gas mileage on the highway, but we also get to enjoy the scenery a little more. The Interstate just doesn't offer very good views at 75 miles per hour and semi-trucks everywhere. Emryk did very well on the ride to Cheyenne, he slept most of the way and only cried a few minutes - lucky for us we were just arriving on the outskirts of Cheyenne as he started fussing.

We spent Thanksgiving with Laura's family in Cheyenne. That allowed Laura's parents some quality time with Emryk and Laura and I were able to relax a little while they watched him. We did some geocaching in Cheyenne - even though it was less than two hours we still enjoyed a few minutes by ourselves and not having the threat of a crying baby in the backseat of the car. Our ride back to Kearney wasn't nearly as pleasant!

Thurday evening Laura's dad and I installed the stained glass window that I made last year. I finished it up just before I moved back to Nebraska in January. In fact, after I got my current job in December, I went back to Montana for just a few days and packed everything I thought I would need for a few months before Laura moved. In the mean time, I finished up the stained glass window by going to the studio of my instructor and spending about six hours during one day to finish it. When we moved in April, I packed it between several layers of cardboard, and then placed it in a box of blankets. That box was put in the Subaru on the backseat - where it would be safe... If you don't know the rest of that story you can read it >>HERE<<.

Here's a picture of what the template looked like in the book. I made some changes.
Here's where the stained glass window goes. We finished the basement and left a spot for it.
Here's the finished product.
The window doesn't look too bad. In reality the window won't have enough light behind it to look very good - but the purpose of the window is to allow a little natural light into the interior area of the basement which doesn't have a lot of natural light to begin with. I think it achieves the desired look - the white of the swans and light colors I used for the water should allow enough light through to brighten up the area. As you can see, the basement has a turkey fan on the wall and there is also a deer and antelope mount on the wall, so the swans will add to the basement atmosphere. Overall I really liked making the window and hopefully I will be able to make another stained glass window in the future. That will be when I have much more free time though - Emryk seems to think he needs all of it right now!

Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home