Friday, February 17, 2006

Staying Warm

Now today feels like an actual winter day. As of 10:00 this morning we were at a warm -10F with a wind chill around -30F. Take a look at the US temperatures this morning. Even the warm places have found themselves to be a little colder than usual. You know it's cold when your expected high for the day doesn't reach zero. You can see at the bottom of my sidebar on the right side what the current temperature is now. Laura and I had thought about going geocaching, but I am afraid it might be a little too cold to get out and search with bare hands!

In other news, I got a call yesterday from Home Depot. I have an interview Monday but I am having trouble deciding if I want to take the job. The main reason is it is a part time job, I would have to work weekends and evenings, and right now that's about the only time I get to see Laura. Oh, and did mention the job is "Lot Attendant"? I help customers load their vehicles and push carts around. Don't take it the wrong way, I have nothing against this job, but after 4 years of college I am a little insulted with the job offer, especially at part time. However, the money would be nice - and if I can start off at $8 an hour or better I might just take it and try to work 2 jobs for awhile. It's hard to explain how things are around Missoula. Housing cost is ridiculous - an average trialer house starts out around $55,000. A 1,400 sq. ft. house, city lot, one level, no garage, starts off around $175,000.
Jobs are hard to come by, and when I talked to the woman on the phone at Home Depot she asked me if I would be interested in the job, and I said 'not really, but I wouldn't turn it down.' To which she laughed at, knowing that if you can find a job around here that you better grab on and hold on.

Here's another picture of the basement of our house. This is after we had the footings poured. I remember this day quite well. I was up and working on the house with dad around 6:00 a.m. and helped finish digging the footings for the inspector to check out at 8:00 a.m. before I took off for school. The foots where Rylan is standing are close to two feet thick - wow was that a heck of a good time digging!
The real fun was awaiting us though - this basement would prove to be quite a test. I will explain that when I show those pictures. The field in the background on the left side is no longer a field, it is full of houses now. Amazing how quickly the landscape can change in a matter of five years.

That's all for today. I am going to work on staying warm and scanning pictures. Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home