Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Late Nite Cartography

Yesterday I blogged the new arrival of 1,000 cachers with 1,000 finds. Well after jestcaching sent me some extra information I decided I needed to make a map for this historic event. I havn't produced a map of this nature in nearly two and a half years. I made a few maps last year while I was doing research on Nebraska Ghost Towns but none like this... Here is just another example of how maps can make everything easier in our lives. Like I always say, you can make a map of anything, and Geography is the basis of EVERYTHING that happens. You name it, I can tell you how Geography and maps relate to it... It's nice to know I can still make a map, even though this is slightly wrong, it still produced the same idea across the board.

The first thing I notice from this map is that the majority of the cachers are on the West Coast and Southwest United States. My guess is this is because Geocaching is popular with retired folks who have time to Geocache more often that working people, and you don't need a map to know there are a lot of retired people who live or move to these locations.

The most interesting thing to note is that Tennessee falls into the 41-50 cachers category. Perhaps the information was incorrect, but I doubt it. Why so many in Tennessee? I would think Illinois or NewYork would be higher... But infact Tennessee doubles New York when it comes to cachers with over 1,000 finds.

Interesting information here. Feel free to chime in and make some observations as well. Until again

-=Nolan=-

2 Comments:

Blogger jestjuggle said...

Great job on the map.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice map. It appears your data are from Zinnware. That only polls GC.com, therefore, it is not a complete data set. There are more kilo cachers than their list reports.

Friday, November 25, 2005 10:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home