Sunday, November 13, 2005

Super Sunday

After a slow Saturday of relaxing and recovering from our Friday night fun at the laboratory, we decided around noon today to hit the road and do some hunting. I took Laura to the same place I hunted on Friday, however we went across the pond to get out of the wind and stay away from other hunters who were about a half mile away.

So before I had even gotten back into the blind and had the gun fully loaded we already had a duck fly by, well within range, however we were nowhere near being prepared and he managed to make it another day. About fifteen minutes later a group of five mallards came at us low on the horizon. After they circled over us the first time I feared they had spotted us and we were busted, so I told Laura to let 'em have it! She stood up, and blasted a single shot off and then excitedly yelled "Did I get one!!??" 'No' I said... She had simply raised the gun up into the air and fired away, not even aiming. No surprise there, that happens to everyone, especially on their first real hunt, when those ducks are so close you can see their eyes, the excitement and adrenaline can really make you a bad shot. So Laura's excitement soon turned to disappointment when she realized she had only hit some air with her shot... not long after that there was a single drake mallard flying by which I called and it circled down to us. It was a beautiful approach and he cupped his wings and tipped and turned and he approached the decoys against the wind. Laura jumped up, aimed and missed... Nothing like sending a good warning shot I guess, because the next shot was a beauty. She lined it up and folded it like she had been shooting for years. I was impressed by how well she handled the second shot and very happy to see her excitement when she hit it.

The weather couldn’t have been better today for duck hunting either. A wind at our back, cloudy with scattered rain, and a low cloud base. Duck hunters pray for such conditions and I was delighted to see Laura could enjoy the day with me and harvest her first duck.

In other news, there really isn’t any… I weighed in at 190 again this morning and I think that’s the first day in awhile I haven’t lost a pound. I was surprised that I actually haven’t gained a pound back here and there since we have only been running a week and only six miles total thus far. Well I will stop to keep this from getting lengthy. Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home