Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I'm Speechless.

The title says it all, if it does say anything at all that is. Ha ha! Get it? Speechless - says it all! That's a good one, I might right that down.

Let me bring everyone up to speed on what has been happening in the last week... I havn't said too much about it, because honestly it was no different than the usual... Well about a month ago I sent in a couple applications to the DNRC. That's the Deparment of Natural Resources and Conservation here in Montana. Well, after a few weeks of not hearing anything I am figuring this is no different than the last two dozen applications I have sent in. So I checked the paper two weeks ago and found a position as a youth mentor for outdoor recreation, doing hikes, camps, fishing, climbing, that kind of stuff. So I called the place and left a message. Five days go by and no response from the company so back to the newspaper. An ad for a local landscaping company caught my eye - it said NO MOWING - so I sent in an application on Tuesday and the landscaping guy called me Thursday for an interview on Friday! HOLY SMOKES! I'm thinking FINALLY! Well, I interview for the job on Friday afternoon and around 6:00 that night I get a call from the outdoor company asking me to send a resume - which I did yesterday. Less than five minutes after I sent my resume to the outdoor company my phone rings and it's the DNRC from Anaconda, Montana - about 100 miles away - and they want me to interview on Thursday for the position I applied for so I told them I would. Now I am thinking, "Wow, two interviews in less than a week huh.!?" So this morning I recieved a call around 9:30 and it's the landscape guy - "Hey, congratulations. You've got the job if you want it." So that's my good news for today - I accepted the job. The story doesn't end there. Oh no! Just as I am sitting down to write this VERY blog my phone rings again. "Hi Nolan, This is the Missoula DNRC calling about the position you applied for. Are you still interested?" Is this for real? I recieved four (4) phone calls in response to jobs I applied for. I have been trying for 7 months to get something, sent in well over 25 resumes and applications and all in one week I get four phone calls asking for interviews and additional job information.

So I have gone from thinking jobs were going to be impossible to get to now turning down jobs I really wanted!!! But I already told the landscape company that I would accept the job and I am not going to go against my word after he was so nice and quick to respond to me. Afterall, the other positions were still open for interviewing and there is a chance I wouldn't get those - although I am sure I would have gotten one of them. Oh, let me clarify the DNRC job.

I applied for that job here in Missoula. It was for a Look Out position in a fire tower out in the wilderness. That's when the Anaconda office called me first about the position and THEN the Missoula office called today. I would have liked to do that job, but I think I will be just as happy with the landscape work.

That's all for today. Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home