Monday, January 15, 2007

Home Again Home Again Jiggidy Jig

We've finally made it! 3,195 miles later we are right back where we started - Missoula, Montana. After a month of living out of a suitcase and having no routine, we are happy to be back to 'our space' in our apartment. Albeit small, far from family and friends, and a mess from everything we have unpacked, we are happy to be back. Now don't go thinking I am falling in love with the world of Missoula, oh no, far from it. That was apparent within five minutes of exiting the Interstate and driving across town - not more than ten blocks off the Interstate and some idiot spinning his truck tires pulled out right in front of us and forced a sudden stop by slamming on the breaks. Welcome back I guess.... My original point was, we are happy to be back where our stuff is and where we don't have to use stuff which doesn't belong to us, although it was generously offered and appreciated, it's always nice to have our stuff.

I want to share a picture I took in Cheyenne last week when temperatures we around 35 degrees and we braved the cold to venture outdoors once again. Laura and I were geocaching at Lions Park, watching the geese and ducks mill around in the frigid water. Suddenly, I had an urge to swim amongst the waterfowl and so I took my hat, gloves and coat off and began running towards the small patch of open water still untouched by the ice cold hand of Mother Nature. As I ran, kicking my shoes and socks off, and pulling off my shirt, I came to a sudden stop as my eye caught a sign posted on the beach. Sadness overtook me as I read "NO SWIMMING CLOSED FOR THE SEASON." As you can see, the water was ideal for swimming and the ice fisherman watching the geese fly overhead was waving me on, but I decided to get dressed and go find other recreational activities.

Laura and I did some geocaching around Cheyenne on Monday and Tuesday when temperatures were warmer. We finished the trip with 960 caches found, no where near the 1000 we had wanted to have, but considering the weather wasn't cooperative we can be happy with what we did find.

Laura and I left Cheyenne a little after 7:00 in the morning on Saturday. We drove I-25 to I-90 and straight on to Missoula. We stopped for gas three times and once for some food in Sheridan, Wyoming. We spent about 30 minutes at Arby's and five minutes each for the fuel fill-ups, totally around 45 minutes outside of the car. We made the 800 mile trip from Cheyenne to Missoula just shy of 12 hours.

We were excited to arrive home and start unpacking the car. As I unpacked, Laura made some food and attempted to organize the mess I was bringing in from the car. To our surprise, Brooklyn (the dog) was waiting for us when we got home. She is moving away today with her owner and we are a little sad to have such a nice neighbor (and dog) move away but she has found herself a good job and those are hard to find around here.

Laura's at the school today getting her work started again and I am doing some final unpacking and organizing details around the house. Last night I called my boss about working today, but he had his phone turned off and I left a message to call. I have a feeling, with temperatures hovering at 5 degrees right now, and a high of 10 today, in addition to the fact it is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, that no work is being done today and things will start up again tomorrow. I did buy a new pair of coveralls in Cheyenne - they were on clearance and are a little heavier than my other pair, so I should stay even warmer!

With that in mind, I have a few things to get done around the house before Laura comes home and is ready to get some groceries. Have a good day, and stay warm, it appears most of the country is a little colder than usual! Until again

-=Nolan=-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home