Tuesday, December 06, 2005

AURG!

Well, just when things are starting to pick up and I don't want any more to do than I need... Well, perhaps I should start by saying Murphy's Law has bitten me on the back side when I wasn't expecting it! Unless you know a few things about computers you won't care much about the first part of my post today - but feel free in enlighten yourself if you don't know... Perhaps you will learn a thing or two - LIKE IT DIDN'T!

So here is the proplem. See that little box with the wires sticking out of it? Well, if you have ever taken the case off of your computer tower then you know exactly what it is. It's the power supply for the computer. Without it the computer is just an expensive door stop. That's right, no electricity = no computer. So heres the nitty gritty of the problem...

I bought my computer in May 2002 - it wasn't top of the line then, but it was good enough for what was happening. It came with one hard drive (where you store the files on your computer) and one CD-ROM (pop out coffee holder for some) and one stick of 2100DDR RAM. So my 250 watt power supply was fine with such equipment.. In the English language, I just said my computer was fairly empty... Well since 2002, I have added to the computer: RAID PCI Card, TV Tuner PCI card, 2x 120GB Hard drives, 32X CD-Burner, DVD-ROM, and 3x 256 MB RAM... In other words, my computer is now FULL! Not to mention I added a few extra fans for cooling.

Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later, and it finally came to later - my power supply has bit the dust. That many components inside a computer with only 250 Watts is like trying to power a household lightbulb with a 9V battery - it might work for a short time, but that's too much work for such little power... So I have gone to e-bay for my next power supply - I ordered it this evening, and I will let you know how things go once it arrives.. Until then, I will feel lost without my 'super' computer running.. I have 3 other computers I can work at, but they are 'el-cheapo' compared to my computer that I have spent so much time and work on to be JUST how I want it...

I will let go until my power supply arrives... I got out of the house today, even though it was only 15 degrees and went duck hunting. I actually didn't use duck decoys, I sat out goose shells because there was ice where I would usually put duck decoys, and it was better than 4 inches thick! I had two chances to shoot some ducks, but let them go thinking they would circle again and land. No problem, that means I don't have to clean any ducks tonight. I thought I would have some luck with geese sinse I was using my goose decoys, and I even had a single goose fly over, but didn't have much interest in my friendly geese sitting on the ice.. I also had a muskrat visit me while I stood in the blind - I sat near a warm water creek so he was able to swim around - but it was only about 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep - nothing to interest ducks when there are other spots around...

I also spent some time with the dogs, the little guy is getting some sharp teeth - as is evident from the scratches all over my hands! He likes to bite hands, which I don't understand because I am trying to pet him or give him a chew toy - which he apparently believes to be my hand! YIKES!

Well, I see I have created quite a chapter in the book, so I will give it a rest. Until again

-=Nolan=-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let Nolan lead you all too astray. He does have our brand new, highly equipped laptop at home to keep him busy so he should pull through this tragedy quite well.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Nolan said...

You only think this is highly equipped because you have no clue... It hardly compares to my machine!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:28:00 PM  
Blogger jestjuggle said...

Hey Nolan -

Too bad about the power supply. Unlike Laura I sympathize for you.

Mike

Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home